MARCIA RIEFF – STEP UP: BEGINNERS TO INTERMEDIATE WATERCOLOR
NOTE: Please purchase the best quality materials you can afford. Quality does make a difference.
Michael’s and AC Moore have most of these items and you can also order through Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff catalog for wonderful inexpensive choices. www.cheapjoe.com or call for catalog 1-800-227-2788.If you have painted before, please bring the materials you usually use.
- PAINTS: One tube each watercolor paint- Permanent Rose, Cobalt Blue, Sap Green and Lemon or Aureolin Yellow. Cotman at AC Moore or Michaels to begin with.
- BRUSHES: one 1” or 1-1/2 inch good wash brush and one #10 or 12 round brush. A rigger brush can be purchased now or later.
- PAPER: Arches 9 x 12 watercolor block – 140 lb.Cold Press (expensive so use your coupons) or you can purchase a full sheet or two of good paper from me at $1.00 each and it can be cut to the sizes we will work with for the whole workshop.
- PALETTE: Craft stores have inexpensive plastic palettes. Get one at least dinner plate size with divided sections. Even three section Styrofoam plates from the Dollar Tree work well to start.
- WATER CONTAINER: Plastic tubs from margarine or large yogurts will do or Dollar Tree/3 section divided plastic for leftovers is terrific.
- MISC. Standard Kitchen sponge (no rough side), paper towels or tissues, masking tape 1” size (try Dollar Stores for inexpensive roll).
- SKETCH BOOK
CHRISTINE FRIEDMAN – INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED WATERCOLOR PAINTS
Professional quality only: Windsor newton, Holbein, Daniel smith, DaVinci are good. Avoid student grade.
· Blues: Cerulean, Peacock, Cobalt, Cobalt Turquoise, Ultramarine, Prussian or Antwerp, Windsor Blue, Holbein
Blue Grey, Turquoise or Horizon blue
· Green: Sap, Olive, Viridian, Windsor, Grumbaucher – Thalo Yellow Gr, Windsor Emerald
· Yellows : Aureolin Yellow, Lemon Yellow, Cad. Yellow, Naples Yellow, Raw Siena, Yellow Ochre
· Red: Cad. Orange, Cad Red , Permanent Rose, Windsor Red, Opera Pink, Alizarin crimson, Permanent Magenta
· Brown: Sepia, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber
· Robert Simmons or Lowell Cornell: Flat 2″, 1″, 1/2″,1/4″, 1.5”, Round # 4-14, #3 Rigger, Large Sky wash brush, small 1/4 ” Flat or Filbert cut scrubbing brush – stiff hair, Fan brush
· Arches Cold Pressed 140 lb.
· Lana Aquarelle 140lbs Fabriano
· Artistico 140lb
· Kilimanjaro 140 lb. cold press
· Windsor Newton 140 lb. cold press
· Sketch Pad, Graphite Pencils, Markers for value sketch
· Covered palette, water containers, kitchen sponge, water spray bottle, paper towels
· Smooth light weight board to tape or clip water color paper large enough to hold half sheet or quarter sheet size.
· Look for best prices in catalogs or websites of: Cheap Joe’s art supplies, Dick Blick, ASW(art supply warehouse), as well as looking for sales at local art stores using student discount card and coupons.
PEGGY DRESSEL – THE FIGURE IN WATERCOLOR / PORTRAIT & THE CLOTHED FIGURE
Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Aureolin, Cadmium Orange, Rose Madder, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red Dark, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine, Cobalt Blue, Cobalt Violet, Viridian Green, Sap Green, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Black.
· One or two Round-synthetic watercolor brushes – 5 to 7
· Large Round-synthetic brush- size 12- Short Handle- Pearl Fashion 500 or Pearl 308, Flat brush-synthetic ¾ to 11/2”
· Arches 1401b Cold Press Watercolor Paper 22” x 30”
- OTHER EQUIPMENT
· Roll of paper towels
· #2b lead pencil
· Staedtler Mars-Plastic eraser
· Kneaded eraser
· Two plastic containers for water
· Masking tape
· Foam core board or cardboard 15” x 20” space for mixing
· Hair dryer (optional)
· Sketch book paint
· One plastic large lightweight palette with a cover
· Spray bottle
· If you have paints, brushes and paper,
· Bring what you have to the first class.